The Solar Eclipse will be viewable from towns all over Oregon but with Madras right in the middle of the path of totality, Central Oregon has been advertised as one of the best spots to see the upcoming Solar Eclipse. We will start to see shadowing when the moon begins to pass between the sun and the earth starting at around 9:06 a.m., followed by everything going into total darkness for about two minutes at 10:19 a.m.
We have heard there will be record crowds in Central Oregon and to be ready for anything. Here are our top 5 survival tips:
- Be patient. There will be a lot of people in Central Oregon and everywhere will be busy. Plan to be flexible and visit places expecting long wait times and lines.
- Ride your bike. Traffic is going to be crazy around Central Oregon and our small towns aren’t set up for the amount cars on the roads experts are expecting. Central Oregon is bike friendly so cruising on your bike is likely going to be the easiest and fastest way to get where you need to go. Don’t forget your helmet!
- Fill up with gas before. Try and fill your gas tank a week before to avoid the long lines and any potential shortages.
- Plan for extra drive time. Experts predict traffic will be at a standstill and could take hours. Leave early!
- Stock up on snacks. Here are a few of our favorites made right here in Central Oregon: The No-Bake Cookie Co., Humm Kombucha, savory scones from Bad Wolf Bakery and Straw Propeller Oatmeal. And who can forget coffee? Try Sisters Coffee company for that extra boost of energy.
Most importantly, don’t forget to wear your Hayden Homes certified ISO approved solar eclipse glasses to enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime experience! You can pick up a pair at any Central Oregon Model Home.