Summer is in full swing and most of us will be staying much closer to home this year than ever before. If you’re looking for fun things to do at home this summer, while enjoying those special moments where you can slow down, play and laugh with your family, read on for a list of our Top 15! These activities are sure to provide summertime fun and even some exercise for the whole family.
First, we’ll start with our list of the top outdoor activities, to do at home this summer:
- Play Outdoor Games: Create an outdoor gaming tournament with some fun games like corn hole or bocce ball. The winner gets to have their favorite meal for dinner.
- Set Up an At Home Water Park: Let’s face it, summer can be hot! So why not set up the sprinklers or a slip-and-slide and let the kids cool off and have fun doing it. (Parents are encouraged to participate as well.).
- Star stargazing: Looking at the same yard all the time can be tiring, so why not, change it up? Look up and dream of the great big universe out there. Purchase a book that teaches you about the constellations and see which ones you can discover, from your own backyard!
- Outdoor Movie Night: This is one of our favorite ideas! Set up a movie night in the backyard with a projector and a big white space. Bonus: The snacks probably cost less, and homemade treats are usually better!
- Backyard Campout: Who doesn’t love a good campout? This is easy and fun. Simply set up your tent, grab your sleeping bags and sleeping pads and stay outside tonight. Make it more fun by telling funny or scary stories.
- Hold a backyard tea party: We love this idea. Have a fancy tea party, with blankets, a tea set and even dress it up and wear fun hats.
Next, our list of fun indoor activities to do at home this summer:
- Make art! This could be as simple as finger painting, or you could get creative and make some fun things like a bird feeder or garden ornaments.
- Make homemade ice cream. Everyone loves ice cream in the summer. This is the perfect time to make it! Here’s a recipe for one ingredient banana ice cream. If you don’t want to spend the time to make ice cream, bake some cookies, buy some ice cream and make homemade ice cream sandwiches or banana splits. The kids will love them!
- Get a book of riddles.See if you can stump each other; then write your own riddles.
- Put on a magic show. Magic is fun and entertaining for the whole family. Learn some easy magic tricks and put on a magic show.
- Host an indoor picnic for your family. Grab the picnic basket, blankets, and your favorite picnic snacks and host an indoor picnic in your living room. While you’re eating, be creative and tell stories describing your favorite hiking destination and imagine you’re in the great outdoors.
- Have an indoor/outdoor scavenger hunt. This is not only fun and takes some time to put together, but the kids will love finding the clues and discovering the different items you have around the house.
- Do a puzzle: Puzzle-making is a calming way to spend time together at home. Hours can be spent finding just the right pieces to add to the puzzle. The best part is when you see the finished product. This isn’t a one-night activity, so set aside a place that the puzzle can be undisturbed.
Fun, nearby your home. Let’s not forget there is still fun to be had in and around your home, in your local neighborhood and community. Here are a couple of fun bonus ideas to do this summer while keeping your family and community safe
- Go for a hike. Purchase a guidebook from a local shop or online that provides details on your local hikes. Find one that you’ve never done before and have fun! Make sure you bring plenty of water and snacks in case it’s hot out there.
- Go for a drive. Take the family on a drive to a nearby destination that allows you to stay social distanced, but that you’ve never been before. A few ideas could be a local lookout point, during sunset or to a nearby lake to go for a swim.
These are just a few of our favorite ideas to help keep you and kids entertained, at home this summer. If you have other ideas, feel free to send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be sure to post them.
If you’re looking for a home that offers spaces for everyone and more space to enjoy summer and these summer-time activities, Hayden Homes is here to help when you’re ready to buy a new home. We build new single-family homes in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington for every stage of life. We’re looking forward to welcoming you into your new home.