Spring has arrived, and its tradition, it has brought with it everything that is synonymous with this time of year: sunshine, daylight savings, flowers, showers, and the urge to freshen up household spaces with a little spring cleaning.
A little spring freshening of your household can not only spruce up your home’s appearance, it can boost your home’s value, add curb appeal, and help encourage your neighbors to do the same.
Here are five ideas spring cleaning your household.
1. Freshen up your home’s curb appeal. Your home’s front yard and entry is the first thing people see when they come to visit, yet it is often neglected because homeowners enter their home from the garage and not the front door. Make your entry more inviting by sweeping up the front porch, patio, or entry, removing cobwebs and dust from the front of the home, and cleaning or power washing the exterior and front-facing windows. If you are feeling extra ambitious, add a fresh coat of paint to the front door, replace the doormat, add some potted flowers, and revive the front porch seating with new furniture cushions.
2. Clean your home’s windows. Nothing will freshen up your home quicker than a good window washing. Washing your windows allows more of the daylight in, brightening your home and instantly creating a sunnier, friendlier space. While you are up on the ladders cleaning away, you may also want to consider giving the blinds a good dusting and the window treatments a good washing. Also, don’t neglect the screens. Spritz clean, remove of bugs, and repair broken or torn areas.
3. Dust off hard-to-reach places. Hard-to-reach places often get neglected by the daily and weekly cleaning regimen. Use this opportunity to dust off light fixtures, fans, floorboards, and other hard-to-reach places such as under the beds and behind couches and end tables.
4. Organize your garage. Over the course of the year, garages tend to get neglected while the stuff inside them continues to pile up. Spring is the perfect time to clean and organize this space because the warmer weather allows you tackle the mess with doors wide open, while also adding much need space to store and retrieve your favorite spring and summer gear such as tents, bicycles, coolers, camp chairs, and kayaks.
5. Spruce up the main spaces. Go through the shared spaces of your home and remove anything that’s off-season, too heavy for the room’s visual, unnecessary, or very bulky. Simply ridding your home of the extras can spruce up any space, making your home appear brighter, lighter, and cleaner. For the smaller things you reach for all the time, look for storage solutions that will tackle the clutter without impeding on convenience, such as magazine racks, charging stations, and mudroom lockers.
Bonus Tip: Tackle the paper clutter. We all have a place where paper clutter congregates. Spring is the perfect time to go through old files and rid of old bills, statements, assignments, and other paper clutter. Since spring comes just after tax season, it’s easier to know what items you can purge, and start fresh for the new year. You can even opt to scan in your important papers which will help you rid of paper clutter altogether (just remember to backup those files!).
There’s nothing like a little sweat and elbow grease in the mild temperatures and spring sunshine to motivate you to freshen up your home. Tackling these cleaning tasks will make your home fresh, clean, and inviting, and allow you to relax the rest of the spring and summer away!